Keyboards and Bacteria – The Horrible Facts…
According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), “Hands are the main pathways of germ transmission during health care”. Cleaning hands and the equipment they touch is critical in health care facilities.
Research from the Swinburne University of Technology in Australia studied the amount and type of bacteria on personal faculty keyboards and shared keyboards and other surfaces around the university. They found that keyboards can have high levels of bacteria on them and that shared keyboards tend to have more bacteria than those used by only one person.
Even more disturbing, research by University of Arizona researchers also found that the average desktop has 400 times more bacteria than the average toilet seat. That study took samples from offices across the United States, and also showed that women’s desks tended to harbour more bacteria than men’s.
A study at Chicago’s Northwestern Memorial Hospital found that two deadly drug-resistant types of bacteria (vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium (VRE) and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)) could survive for up to 24 hours on a keyboard, while another common but less deadly bug (Pseudomonas aeruginosa) could survive for an hour.
Stopping the Cycle of Cross-Contamination…
The ICONA Super-Clean Infection Control Keyboard is made from tempered glass and super strong ABS Plastic. It has been designed to be the world’s easiest keyboard to Clean and Disinfect as it is has a smooth-touch design, no gaps or crevices for bacteria to hide, and is 100% waterproof. It is been designed for complete Infection Control for clinical environments. Whats more, it has adopted the latest smart-tech design features, such as integrated one-touch mouse operation into the keyboard – this makes it not only one of the most advanced keyboards in the world, but one of the most functional and enjoyable to use.
To stop the cycle of cross contamination…..Spray with an effective Clinical Detergent, then Wipe Away…. clean and dry. And Or Disinfect with a Hospital Grade Disinfection.
- 100% Waterproof Keyboard.
- Variety of connection modes (USB, RF, Bluetooth).
- Easy to clean and disinfect – Made from Tempered Glass and super strong ABS plastic – Resistant to corrosive chemicals and/or physical impacts.
- Advanced keyboard & mouse integration – Touch and Movement.
- Vibration and Sound options for improved user experience.
- Slim yet sturdy design.
- Dimension: 456 x 160 x 20 mm.
- Button size: 18 x 18 mm.
- Colour: white.
- Material: Tempered glass + ABS.
- Connection method: USB, Bluetooth and RF.
- Support system: Android, Windows, MAC OSX.
- Model No: B45.
Product Code: ISCK-1
- Anderson, G; and Palombo, EA, Microbial contamination of computer keyboards in a university setting; American Journal of Infection Control, 37(6) pp.507-9, 2009.
- Lankford, MG; Collins, S; Youngberg, L; Rooney, DM; Warren, JR; and Noskin, GA, Assessment of materials commonly used in health care: Implications for bacterial survival and transmission. American Journal of Infection Control, 34(5)pp. 258-63, 2006. http://www.center4research.org/bacteria-computer-keyboards-toilet-seats/